Webpage Photo 2014 All

Senior Hurling Championship Final Report, by Seamus Hayes

Clare Champion, Friday, September 13. 1985. (Article supplied by Patsy Doohan)

Kilmaley got off to a great start when they took the lead after just one minute of play. Gerry Kennedy scored from a 20m free following a foul on John Cahill. In the next few minutes Eire Og did the attacking but they failed to find the target. Declan Coote’s shot from a 33m free rebounded off the upright only to be cleared by an alert Paddy Hill. A minute later Coote was wide from a similar position.

Eire Og had their first core in the seventh minute when Coote pointed from a 90m free. Eire Og continued to create the better chances but they failed when it came to finishing and at the end of the first quarter Kilmaley went back in front when Seamus Fitzpatrick scored after taking a pass from the outstanding Martin Cahill.

Eire Og levelled up two mutes later when Declan Coote pointed from a 65 which was awarded after P. J. Kennedy had made a superb save from Pat Lynch. Kilmaley were back in front in the seventeenth minute when Seamus Fitzpatrick made another great run before hand passing a fine point.

Nine minutes from the break Eire Og captain Sean Heaslip scored a fine point from the touchline and two minutes later he repeated the feat from almost the same position to put his team in front for the first and only time of the game. With five minutes remaining to the break Seamus Fitzpatrick time made another fine run before passing to Gerry the Kennedy who sent over a great point.

This left the half time score at Kilmaley 0-4, Eire Og 0-4.

Within a minute of the resumption, Martin Meehan, now operating at corner forward flashed over a point to put Kilmaley back in front and two minutes later Meehan was again on target after Seamus Fitzpatrick had made another tremendous run. Kilmaley were in full flight and a minute later Seamus Fitzpatrick stretched their lead with another good point. In the sixth minute Martin Meehan sent over another point to put his team four points clear.

In the seventh minute Eire Og had their first score of the half when Bernie O’Brien pointed from play and three minutes later Declan Coote had a like score to leave just two points between teams. In the fourteenth minute John Russell, one of the Eire Og stars on the day, sent over a point shortly after P. J. Kennedy had again made a fine save, this time from Martin Nugent.

At the turn of the final quarter Gerry Kennedy was wide from a 30m free for the winners but two minutes later substitute Michael Murphy sent over a lovely point. With just nine minutes to go Sean Heaslip converted from a 25m free for the Ennis side after missing from a 50m free two minutes later. With seven minutes remaining Seamie Fitzpatrick made another superb run through the Eire Og back line before being fouled and Gerry Kennedy pointed from 30m for what proved to be the final score. 
There was plenty of excitement in the remaining even if there weren’t any scores. Four minutes from the end Kilmaley had the ball in the Eire Og net but this was disallowed.

Receive HTML?


Today 6

Yesterday 85

Week 6

Month 255

All 64143

Currently are 3 guests and no members online

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions

Latest News

Twitter images



 HB Logo-whitebg

KHGAA Pieta House

Joomla templates by Joomlashine